Murray Hill, New Jersey, U.S., June 4, 2015 -- Celebrating the 43rd anniversary of World Environment Day, and acknowledging the responsibility of industry to protect planet Earth, a Linde North America senior executive highlights a number of environmentally sound industrial gas applications developed and/or introduced by Linde over the past several decades.
World Environment Day is celebrated every year on June 5 to raise global awareness to take positive environmental action to protect nature and the planet Earth. It was established by the United Nations General Assembly in 1972 on the day that the United Nations Conference on the Human Environment began. Linde North America is a member of The Linde Group, a world leading gases and engineering company.
“Linde is committed to sustainable environmental solutions and has developed dozens of application technologies that have had a measurable effect on improving the environment,” said, Leslie Waller, head of Chemicals and Environment Industry. “Over the past several decades, Linde has developed a wealth of processes that cover a broad cross-section of sustainable technologies that have had a very positive effect on a variety of industrial processes. We’ve been applying these technologies in literally hundreds of applications in industries such as chemical, pharmaceutical, energy, metals, plastics, construction, rubber, water and air treatment.”
A sampling of Linde environmentally sound industrial gas applications include:
• LoTOx™ technology -- removes nitrogen oxides using ozone and a variety of air pollution control equipment, such as wet or semi-dry scrubbers or wet electrostatic precipitators.
• CIRRUS® vapor emissions control system -- removes or recycles volatile organic compounds in chemicals and biofuels, refineries and terminal facilities.
• REBOX® oxyfuel system for reheating metals -- reduces fuel consumption and lowers emissions of carbon dioxide, nitrogen oxides and sulfur oxides.
• Oxygen bleaching -- replaces chlorine for Totally Chlorine Free (TCF) bleaching in pulp processing.
• Oxy stream – An Oxygen delivery method for aquaculture that increases productivity and general health in fish and seafood.
• PLASTINUM Foam E -- replaces flammable hydrocarbons with inert CO2 for extrusion foaming.
• CRYOCLEAN® snow – replaces water or solvents for cleaning a variety of component surfaces prior to painting or coating.
• SOLVOX® oxygen systems for municipal and industrial wastewater treatment plants – –pure oxygen injection to reduce BOD/COD and eliminate offensive odors resulting from inadequate oxygenation.
• SOLVOCARB® carbon dioxide (CO2) system -- neutralizes alkaline waters and controls pH, eliminating use of dangerous mineral acids.
• Energized solutions to optimize full-field development of oil and gas reservoirs -- using carbon dioxide (CO2) or nitrogen (N2) that significantly reduces the amount of water needed in the process.
• Hydrogen fueling system -- reduces emissions from buses, cars and forklifts.
• EPA Protocol Specialty gases – for monitoring air emissions.
• Industrial gases and processes for biofuels production.
“In addition to these gas applications that help other industries preserve the environment, Linde also improves its own environment footprint,” said Waller. “For example, the latest design technology from Linde Engineering allows Linde to build its air separation units using the least amount of electricity possible. We also try to locate our plants close to our customer base, which has the effect of reduces our own carbon footprint further by reducing the amount of fuel required for our delivery trucks.”
Linde North America is a member of The Linde Group, a world-leading gases and engineering company. In the 2014 financial year, The Linde Group generated revenue of USD 17.9 bn (EUR 17.047 bn), making it the largest gases and engineering company in the world with approximately 65,500 employees working in more than 100 countries worldwide. The strategy of The Linde Group is geared towards long-term profitable growth and focuses on the expansion of its international business with forward-looking products and services. Linde acts responsibly towards its shareholders, business partners, employees, society and the environment – in every one of its business areas, regions and locations across the globe. The company is committed to technologies and products that unite the goals of customer value and sustainable development.
For more information, see The Linde Group online at www.linde.com
Linde corporate communications